The link between stress and your body
Keeping your body happy will keep you happy.
Looking after your physical well-being is a fantastic way of helping your emotional and mental state. In the video above, Gareth Hughes (a psychotherapist and the Research Lead for Student Well-being at the University of Derby) talks through the key areas that you should consider:
- Sleep - Never forget how important sleep is for your well-being. Making sure you stick with the recommended hours every night will do wonders for both your body and mind.
- Diet - Sugars and caffeine will spike your mood meaning you will feel less balanced (and more anxious) day to day so limiting them to only odd occasions will help a lot.
- Exercise - Getting out, taking in the fresh air and seeing friends when you can, will keep you active and positive. You will feel good about your body and in turn, have a better outlook on triggers that could affect your stress levels.
- Breathing - Deep breathing relaxation techniques can also help keep you calm, such as the 7-Eleven method (breath in for 7 seconds, breath out for 11).
Taking care of all these areas plus making the most of the support that's around you will keep your body happy!
For more information head to Student Minds, or read up on the differences between stressed and stretched and how you can deal with stressful times.
- Read Next
- International Students Tips: Halal Food in London Caring for Your Mental Health: Cold Seasons Earn £10 - Be Part of our Focus Group Elevate Your LSE Student Experience with Yoga Navigating London: Tips from an International Student Study Spots: Unveiling the Best Places Near North London Halls Worldclass ballet on student budget Student Budget-friendly meals: Cooking with pasta Best Alcohol-Free Things to do in London: Winter Edition Student Vlog: Martina's first week
- Catered halls weekly menu Our halls guest policy Packing essentials - student halls edition Where can I find support? How to do your Laundry: LSE and UoL Halls Edition Connecting to Wi-Fi when you arrive Banned items in your hall Complete your hall induction Lilian Knowles House accommodation tour Halls Pilates (High Holborn)