Vegan Recipe: Creamy Pasta
By Jeanine Donofrio, loveandlemons.com
- 2½ cups small shell pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cups broccoli florets, chopped stems, and leaves (keep stems separate)
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- lemon wedges, for serving
- 1½ cups cooked white beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup vegetable broth, more as needed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast*
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Make the sauce: In a blender, combine the white beans, broth, lemon juice, olive oil, nutritional yeast, garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare the pasta according to the instructions on the package, cooking until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped broccoli stems and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add the broccoli florets and leaves and a splash of water or vegetable broth. Cover and turn off the heat.
- Allow the broccoli to steam for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender but still bright green. Add the pasta, then stir in ¾ of the sauce, adding more broth if the sauce is too dry.
- Season to taste with more salt, pepper and lemon juice, as desired, and portion into bowls. Divide the remaining sauce onto each bowl. Top with the pine nuts and serve with lemon wedges on the side.
- Read Next
- International Students Tips: Halal Food in London Caring for Your Mental Health: Cold Seasons Earn £10 - Be Part of our Focus Group Elevate Your LSE Student Experience with Yoga Navigating London: Tips from an International Student Study Spots: Unveiling the Best Places Near North London Halls Worldclass ballet on student budget Student Budget-friendly meals: Cooking with pasta Best Alcohol-Free Things to do in London: Winter Edition Student Vlog: Martina's first week
- Catered halls weekly menu Our halls guest policy Packing essentials - student halls edition Where can I find support? How to do your Laundry: LSE and UoL Halls Edition Connecting to Wi-Fi when you arrive Banned items in your hall Complete your hall induction Lilian Knowles House accommodation tour Halls Pilates (High Holborn)