Vegan recipe: crispy banana fritters (pisang goreng wijen)
Treat the family to Indonesian-style banana fritters for dessert. They’re cooked using a batter that includes sesame seeds for added crunch. Recipe by @BBC Good Food.
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Serves: 20 fritters
- Neutral oil, like rapeseed, sunflower or vegetable, for deep-frying
- 10 ripe apple or saba bananas, peeled (see tip, below), or 5 overripe plantains, peeled and halved (or cut into thirds if they’re very big)
For the batter
- Pour the oil into a saucepan to a depth of 5cm and heat to 170C. (If you don’t have a temperature probe, see step 2. Meanwhile, mix the batter ingredients with 200ml ice-cold water and ¼ tsp salt in a large bowl until fully combined.
- Check the oil is ready. If you don’t have a temperature probe, drop in a little batter – it should sizzle immediately. Dip a piece of banana into the batter. Gently lower into the oil and fry until crisp and golden brown, about 3 mins. Repeat with all the banana pieces and batter, regulating the oil temperature so that it doesn’t get too hot. Put the cooked fritters on a baking tray in a low oven to keep warm, then drain on a cooling rack over a baking tray lined with kitchen paper.
We've got loads of recipe articles on Halls Life to give you inspiration which you'll be spoilt for choice over!
- Read Next
- International Students Tips: Halal Food in London Caring for Your Mental Health: Cold Seasons Earn £10 - Be Part of our Focus Group Elevate Your LSE Student Experience with Yoga Navigating London: Tips from an International Student Study Spots: Unveiling the Best Places Near North London Halls Worldclass ballet on student budget Student Budget-friendly meals: Cooking with pasta Best Alcohol-Free Things to do in London: Winter Edition Student Vlog: Martina's first week
- Catered halls weekly menu Our halls guest policy Packing essentials - student halls edition Where can I find support? How to do your Laundry: LSE and UoL Halls Edition Connecting to Wi-Fi when you arrive Banned items in your hall Complete your hall induction Lilian Knowles House accommodation tour Halls Pilates (High Holborn)