Living in London
Things to do for FREE in London
Wanting to make the most of London Life on a budget?
London is known for its high prices but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the city on a budget. We've put together a list of some of the best things to do in the city, and even better - they're all FREE! So you don't have to worry about smashing your piggy bank to explore the city's gems.
1. Wander through The British Museum
Are you a history-buff? Experience over two million years of human history and culture at The British Museum. With over 60 galleries to explore, you can spend a whole afternoon appreciating the artefacts. Although some exhibitions cost, there are lots of free collections to see. Just make sure that you book a time slot so you're guaranteed entry.
2. Appreciate art at the Tate Modern
If you're looking for something a little more contemporary, this is the place for you. Discover more than a hundred years of art created by artists across the globe. From abstract sculptures to detailed paintings, there is something for everyone here.
3. Soak in the view at Sky Garden
London has a wealth of stunning attractions that can be explored by foot that look even better from above. Get a panoramic view of the city's skyline at the Sky Garden at the top of the Walkie Talkie skyscraper - London's highest public garden. Don't forget to book your place in advance, this is definitely an unmissable spot.
4. Explore London's Royal Parks
Spend your day in the sun at one of the eight Royal Parks in the city (covering an impressive 5,000 acres of parkland in London). Escape the rush of the city and unwind in the greenery or explore the historic buildings and memorials, this is a great opportunity to learn more about the city's heritage and chill out during those busy uni weeks.
5. Take a step back in time at the Natural History Museum
As a world-class visitor attraction, this has to be on your must-see list. From outer space to the depth of the oceans, the museum houses unique collections with over 80 million artefacts that will blow your mind.
6. Take some insta-worthy pics at Piccadilly Circus
Looking for a selfie spot in the city? Piccadilly Circus is known for its huge screens and bright lights that look incredible at night, perfect for that iconic London pic. Don't forget to keep your eye out for all of the Harry Potter filming spots too!
7. Go sightseeing at Westminster
If you're looking for London's biggest tourist attractions then you have to head to Westminster. See Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, take a ride on the London Eye, visit Buckingham Palace and experience the hustle and bustle of Trafalgar Square.
8. Keep your eye out for Shoreditch Street Art
You won't be able to miss the amazing artwork all over Shoreditch, and it isn't your average graffiti. Local artists have coloured the streets in unbelievable creations that are bound to catch your attention. Click here to find out more about the unmissable street art spots in the area.
What are you waiting for? Get out there and explore!
- Read Next
- Join your Hall's WhatsApp group chat! Runs around Bankside House London's art gems: 5 unmissable museums Puppy Therapy ResLife hall tours - Lilian Knowles House ResLife hall tours - High Holborn ResLife hall tours - Rosebery Hall The best gyms near your hall Keep up to date with ResLife Missing your dog while at uni? Here's what to do
- Catered halls weekly menu Welcome Home Halls Boat Party Packing essentials - student halls edition Our halls guest policy Where can I find support? Connecting to Wi-Fi when you arrive How to do your Laundry: LSE and UoL Halls Edition Banned items in your hall Complete your hall induction Lilian Knowles House accommodation tour